Popular western drama Yellowstone has built a reputation for its shocking violence and high body count. However, the first half of season 5 surprisingly featured less carnage than usual. This has left fans speculating if the show is holding back for an explosive finale full of bloodshed.
Yellowstone actor Wes Bentley, who plays Jamie Dutton on the show, recently hinted that while season 5 so far has shown “restraint” from violence, the final episodes could see a return to the extreme and bloody action the show is known for.
A Change of Pace for Season 5
The Paramount series about the conflicts surrounding the influential Dutton family ranch has always incorporated intense violence and numerous character deaths in its DNA.
Show creator Taylor Sheridan has never shied away from portraying the brutal side of frontier western life. Fans have come to expect regular bloody showdowns and memorably gruesome deaths.
However, the first half of Yellowstone season 5, which aired November 2022 to January 2023, notably dialed back on the violence. Major characters emerged unscathed from threats that would have often proved fatal in previous seasons.
In an interview with TV Line, Bentley acknowledged this tonal shift:
“I thought it was really amazing to see the restraint [in the first half of] this season from the violence.”
He believes season 5 so far has had “a different kind of intensity” compared to preceding seasons.
Is A Bloody Reckoning Coming?
While enjoying the show’s refreshed approach, Bentley tantalizingly hints that the scaled back violence in season 5 thus far may be the calm before the storm:
“Maybe that’s a build-up for some crazy bloodbath at the end, or maybe that tension continues until it explodes in some more compact way.”
This suggests the show could be holding back on its signature shocking carnage for a memorably bloody finale for season 5.
Bentley seems to imply the change of pace is unlikely to last, and extreme violence could return in a potentially spectacular fashion before the season’s end.
What’s Next for Season 5?
With filming for the second half of season 5 delayed due to industry strikes, the release date for upcoming episodes remains unconfirmed.
However, Bentley’s comments indicate that whenever the show returns, fans may see a return to the high stakes action and violence that put Yellowstone on the map.
Potential storylines that could explode into violent confrontation include:
- The brewing war between Jamie and his adoptive father John Dutton
- Unresolved tensions between the Duttons and their bitter rivals the Beck brothers
- Ongoing threats from greedy land developers and casinos
With the show’s track record, we can expect some of these conflicts to inevitably erupt into the shockingly brutal confrontations and deaths that Yellowstone has conditioned fans to anticipate.
Bentley’s tease of a “crazy bloodbath” will have viewers speculating just who among the major characters might meet a violent end before season 5 concludes. One thing seems certain based on his comments – the relative peace of recent episodes is unlikely to last.
Yellowstone Viewing Guide
With fans eagerly awaiting the second half of season 5, here are some ways to get your Yellowstone fix:
How to watch Yellowstone
- Stream on Peacock
- Airing of all episodes on CBS from September 2023
- Stream on Paramount+
Recap of Season 5 Part 1
- Attacks on John Dutton and ranch by unknown masked assailants
- Jamie kills reporter Sarah Nguyen to hide his biological ties to Garrett Randall
- Market equities scheme exposed at Governor Perry’s ranch
- Beth gains leverage over Jamie with blackmail over Sarah’s death
- Jamie bonds with biological father Garrett Randall
- Kayce survives near fatal coyote attack
- Monica begins spiritual quest for family healing
- Who orchestrated attacks on Duttons and is gunning for their downfall?
- Jamie and Garrett Randall plotting against John Dutton
- Unsettled scores with Market Equities and CEO Caroline Warner
What to Expect from Season 5 Part 2
Based on Bentley’s hints and unresolved storylines, viewers can likely expect:
- Escalation of simmering conflicts into outright violence
- High stakes showdowns between warring factions
- Shocking character deaths
- Confrontations and power struggles within the Dutton family
- More machinations from Jamie against the Duttons
- Payoff of season-long arc storylines
With a tagline like “Every king needs an heir,” the explosive second half of Yellowstone’s fifth season promises to bring the acclaimed western saga to an intensely dramatic close.