The hit Paramount series Yellowstone is returning for a highly anticipated fifth season in late 2022. Star Cole Hauser, who plays Rip Wheeler on the show, has revealed some details about what fans can expect from the new episodes.
Overview of Yellowstone and Season 5 Renewal
Yellowstone follows the conflicts and drama surrounding the Dutton family, owners of the largest ranch in the United States. The show stars Kevin Costner as John Dutton, the patriarch of the family, with Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly, Wes Bentley, and Cole Hauser in starring roles as his children.
The series premiered in 2018 on the Paramount Network and has grown into a huge hit for the network. Season 4, which aired in late 2021, averaged over 8 million viewers per episode and was the #1 most watched series on cable.
In February 2022, Paramount officially renewed Yellowstone for a fifth season just a few episodes into season 4. This renewal showed the immense confidence that Paramount has in the future of the show.
Cole Hauser’s Comments on Season 5 Episodes
In a recent interview, Cole Hauser revealed some details about what fans can expect from the upcoming season 5 episodes. Hauser plays Rip Wheeler, the tough-as-nails foreman of the Yellowstone ranch who is also married to Beth Dutton.
Here are some of the key comments that Hauser made about season 5:
- There will be 14 episodes in season 5, an increase from the 10 episodes that made up seasons 3 and 4.
- The season will be broken up into two parts of 7 episodes each.
- Production is set to begin in mid-May 2022 in Montana.
- Hauser said that the new season will be “extraordinary” and full of “fireworks.”
- Major cliffhangers from season 4 will be resolved.
- Hauser promised lots of drama, action, and new storylines while maintaining the core elements that fans love about the show.
What to Expect from the Season 5 Plot
Season 4 ended on several huge cliffhangers that left major characters in peril. Based on those endings and Hauser’s comments, here are some predictions for what may happen in Yellowstone season 5:
Conclusion of Season 4 Cliffhangers
The lives of Beth, Kayce, and John Dutton were all left hanging in the balance at the end of season 4 after coordinated attacks against them. Season 5 will have to resolve who survives these attacks and what the aftermath looks like. Most fans expect all three characters to survive given their prominence in the show.
Progress in the Battle Against Market Equities
The fight between the Duttons and the powerful Market Equities group was a major throughline in season 4. With the Duttons weakened, Market Equities may make another big move against their ranch and business interests next season.
Development of Jamie’s Storyline
Jamie Dutton spent most of season 4 blackmailed by his biological father Garrett Randall. Now that Garrett is dead, Jamie may try to find his place within the Dutton family again or go down an even darker path.
More on Beth and Rip’s Relationship
Beth and Rip just married in season 4 but their happiness could be short-lived. Expect challenges in their relationship as Beth recovers from the attack against her while Rip becomes even more fiercely protective.
Kayce’s Vision Quest Aftermath
After going on a Native American vision quest, Kayce hinted at major changes coming for his family. Some fans theorize he may have foreseen the attacks on his family, informing his actions in season 5.
Introduction of New Characters
Yellowstone always brings in new characters each season, from villains to love interests. It’s likely season 5 will introduce some intriguing new personalities to mix things up.
Why People Love Yellowstone
Yellowstone stands out in the crowded TV landscape for a number of reasons that make it irresistible viewing for its millions of fans:
- Compelling Characters – The Duttons are complex, morally ambiguous characters with personal histories that constantly unfold in interesting ways.
- Family Drama – Despite being multi-millionaires, the Dutton family faces constant inter-personal issues that drive much of the show’s conflict. Fans love the messy family dynamic.
- Stunning Montana Scenery – The show’s setting on a photogenic ranch against the backdrop of the mountains provides organic beauty.
- Powerful Action Sequences – Major events like shootouts, fires, and fights happen every season, keeping viewers on the edge of their seats.
- Modern Western Vibes – With its cowboy hats and ranch setting, Yellowstone emulates classic Westerns but in a thoroughly modern way.
- Soapy Storylines – From love triangles to backstabbing schemes, Yellowstone incorporates nighttime soap opera style storylines that are catnip for its drama-loving audience.
Key FAQs About Yellowstone Season 5
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about the upcoming 5th season of Yellowstone:
When will season 5 premiere?
No official premiere date has been set, but Cole Hauser stated production will start in May 2022. Based on that timeline, season 5 will likely debut in late 2022.
How many episodes will there be?
Season 5 has been confirmed to have 14 episodes total, broken into two parts of 7 episodes each.
Who are the main cast members in season 5?
The main cast consisting of Kevin Costner, Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly, Wes Bentley, and Cole Hauser will return. Supporting cast like Kelsey Asbille and Brecken Merrill will be back as well.
Will the pandemic affect filming?
The pandemic impacted the filming schedule and locations for season 4. But with vaccines now readily available, season 5 is less likely to be affected.
What network will the show air on?
Yellowstone airs on the Paramount Network so season 5 will debut on that cable channel, which is owned by Paramount Global.
Will the season premiere resolve the huge cliffhangers?
Cole Hauser implied that the major cliffhangers with John, Beth, and Kayce will be resolved early in season 5 to pick up those storylines.
Recap of Seasons 1-4 of Yellowstone
Here is a quick recap of what has happened over the first four seasons of Yellowstone leading up to the upcoming season 5:
Season 1 – John Dutton is shot by an unknown assailant. His children Jamie, Beth, and Kayce deal with a range of external threats and internal family issues.
Season 2 – The Duttons go to war against an expansive development project threatening their ranch. Kayce and Monica get married while Beth descends further into addiction.
Season 3 – Corporate greed and protests jeopardize the ranch’s future. Jamie learns he is adopted while Beth and Rip grow closer.
Season 4 – Market Equities schemes against the ranch. Beth and Rip marry while Jamie is blackmailed by his father. The season ends with attacks on John, Beth and Kayce.
Overview of the Dutton Family
The Dutton family dynamic is the core of Yellowstone. Here is a quick recap of the main Dutton family members:
- John Dutton (played by Kevin Costner) – Patriarch of the ranch and family. Tough and uncompromising, he faces constant threats to his ranch.
- Beth Dutton (Kelly Reilly) – John’s smart but volatile daughter. She plays a key role in defending the ranch through cunning business maneuvers.
- Kayce Dutton (Luke Grimes) – Former rodeo star and John’s loyal but withdrawn son. Struggles to balance family duties with his wife and son.
- Jamie Dutton (Wes Bentley) – John’s adopted son who is a lawyer conflicted between loyalty to his family and doing the right thing.
- Rip Wheeler (Cole Hauser) – Ranch foreman and Beth’s husband. Extremely skilled at his job and fiercely protective of the Duttons.
Exciting Details for Yellowstone Season 5
Despite the cryptic nature of his comments, Cole Hauser teased these exciting facts about season 5:
- With 14 episodes, it will be the longest season yet for the show. More content for fans to enjoy!
- Splitting the season into two halves can build momentum and allow for mini-cliffhangers between the two parts.
- Resolving major cliffhangers first will reward loyal fans who have waited months wondering about the fates of the Duttons.
- New storylines and characters will keep the show fresh while maintaining what long-time viewers know and love about Yellowstone.
- Epic drama and battles are ahead as Season 4 set up a high-stakes conflict between the Duttons and Market Equities.
The Takeaway on Yellowstone Season 5
The confirmation that filming will start soon on 14 new episodes has excited Yellowstone fans who have been eagerly awaiting details on season 5. Cole Hauser’s comments indicate the new season will deliver on the drama, action, and family conflict that makes Yellowstone a smash hit.
There are still many unknowns, but it’s clear that season 5 aims to satisfy loyal fans with resolutions to major cliffhangers combined with new storylines. After leaving things in such a precarious position for the Dutton family at the end of season 4, Yellowstone has the opportunity to start its next season off with a bang.