The long wait is finally over! After more than a year off air, the hugely popular drama series Yellowstone is returning for its fifth season tonight, November 13, on Paramount Network.
An Overview of Yellowstone and Why Fans are so Excited for Season 5
Yellowstone follows the Dutton family, owners of the largest contiguous cattle ranch in the United States. The show stars Kevin Costner as John Dutton, the patriarch of the family trying to maintain control of his ranch from land developers, an Indian reservation, and America’s first national park.
The show has grown into a massive hit for Paramount Network since it first premiered in 2018, with season 4 averaging over 10 million viewers per episode. Fans love the sprawling storylines, high stakes drama, and picturesque Montana scenery.
Here’s a quick overview of what happened last season and why fans are so excited for the new season premiere tonight:
- Season 4 ended on major cliffhangers after the Dutton family was attacked in separate incidents, leaving fans desperate to know who survives.
- Kevin Costner won a Golden Globe for his performance as John Dutton, bringing even more popularity to the show.
- The Season 4 finale was watched by over 9 million viewers, showing the growing fanbase.
- New characters were introduced in Season 4, like cowboy Travis Wheatley (played by country music star Lainey Wilson).
- The Dutton family will continue fighting threats to their ranch and way of life.
With so many loose ends after the Season 4 finale, fans have been anxiously waiting to see what happens next for the Duttons. Season 5 is sure to be packed with more epic drama and stunning visuals of the Montana wilderness.
Recapping Where Each Character Left Off Last Season
To get ready for the new season premiere, let’s recap where each member of the Dutton family and their acquaintances ended up at the conclusion of Season 4:
John Dutton (played by Kevin Costner) – The Yellowstone patriarch was shot by an unknown assailant while stopping to help a woman change a tire on the road. John was left bleeding on the side of the road, his fate unknown.
Beth Dutton (played by Kelly Reilly) – The feisty and ruthless Beth opened a package bomb meant for her brother Kayce, resulting in a massive explosion in her office that left her fate a mystery.
Kayce Dutton (played by Luke Grimes) – Former SEAL Kayce was attacked by gunmen in his office who shot up the entire place. Kayce managed to take down some of the attackers, but his fate was also left up in the air.
Jamie Dutton (played by Wes Bentley) – The black sheep of the Dutton family, Jamie, was named Attorney General of Montana with the help of his biological father, whom he betrayed John to team up with.
Rip Wheeler (played by Cole Hauser) – The longtime ranch hand of the Yellowstone and love interest of Beth survived unscathed in the Season 4 finale.
Monica Dutton (played by Kelsey Asbille) – Kayce’s Native American wife Monica recovered from a life-threatening injury.
Thomas Rainwater (played by Gil Birmingham) – The Chief of the Native American tribe next to the Yellowstone ranch survived.
So almost the entire main cast was left in uncertain fate at the end of last season. That cliffhanger has fans on the edge of their seats waiting to see who makes it out alive.
Here’s What to Expect in the New Season
Paramount Network has kept plot details tightly under wraps leading up to the Season 5 premiere. But the trailers and teasers released offer some hints at what to expect:
- It’s clear John Dutton will survive being shot based on shots of him in the preview, but he’s definitely wounded.
- Beth also seems to make it out of the office bombing alive, shown with cuts, bruises, and singed hair.
- Kayce appears bloodied but alive, shooting an attacker.
- Jamie’s fate remains unclear, though he is the likely mastermind behind the attacks on his family.
- The battle over the Yellowstone ranch will only intensify, with developers looking to take the land.
- Expect epic showdowns, shootouts, and confrontations as the Duttons defend their home.
- New characters will be introduced, further expanding the drama.
- Stunning shots of Montana wilderness and ranch life anchor the show.
While many details are still secret, it’s certain that Season 5 will be packed with tension, gritty drama, and gorgeous scenery.
Here are Some Exciting Details About Tonight’s 2-Hour Season Premiere
To kick off the new season, Paramount Network is airing a special 2-hour premiere event tonight at 8 PM Eastern time.
The episode is titled “One Hundred Years is Nothing” and will cover the aftermath of last season’s climactic attacks. Besides resolving that major cliffhanger, here’s some of what viewers can expect:
- A time jump showing how the Duttons have recovered and rebuilt months after the attacks.
- Big stakes negotiations with the Montana government over control of the ranch’s land.
- John Dutton making a momentous decision about the ranch’s future.
- Flashbacks to the founders of the Yellowstone ranch in the late 1800s.
- The return of fan favorites like Rip, Beth, and Kayce plus new faces to further expand the drama.
- Epic scenery around Montana and stunning shots of roaming cattle, horses, and ranch life.
The special premiere is sure to draw in millions of viewers excited to return to the world of Yellowstone. It will set the stage for a thrilling and dramatic new season.
Why Fans are Obsessed with Yellowstone
The show’s stunning cinematography and setting:
- With sweeping vistas of Montana mountains, rivers, valleys, and plains as the backdrop, Yellowstone is a visually stunning show. The Dutton ranch provides endless scenic views of horses, cattle, and ranch life.
The gritty, gripping drama:
- Tough, hard-fought battles between land developers, Native Americans, politicians, and the Duttons keeps tensions high. Clashes often turn physical with intense action sequences.
The talented cast:
- Kevin Costner anchors the show with a rugged, weary performance as John Dutton. Co-stars like Kelly Reilly, Luke Grimes, Wes Bentley, and Cole Hauser round out a strong ensemble cast.
The engrossing plot:
- Following the Dutton family’s struggle to keep control of their ranch against dangerous foes provides endless gripping drama. Cliffhangers leave fans on the edge of their seats.
The portrayal of modern Western life:
- Yellowstone offers a modern look at ranching life with all the grit, toughness, and action fans love in an Western. The show’s themes around land ownership, family legacies, and cattle ranching resonate.
With all these elements combining, it’s easy to see why Yellowstone has become a smash hit and cultural sensation. Fans are counting down the hours until the Season 5 premiere tonight!
A Preview of What’s in Store for the Rest of Season 5
While the premiere will pick up right after last season’s cliffhangers, there’s much more in store during the rest of Season 5 based on hints from the show’s creators:
New foes for the Duttons
- A hedge fund CEO and Montana politician will plot to take away the Yellowstone ranch from the Duttons through legal and underhanded means.
Plenty more drama between the Dutton siblings
- Kayce, Jamie, and Beth will continue jostling for power and influence over the ranch and their father.
New cowboy characters
- Country singer Lainey Wilson joins the cast as a new cowboy’s wife. Expect more new faces to cause drama.
Epic showdowns over land rights
- John Dutton will continue his no-holds-barred fights in the Montana capital to protect his land.
The fallout of last season’s attacks
- Lingering effects from the attacks will ripple through the new season as the Duttons rebuild.
Stunning shots of Montana wilderness
- New vistas, landscapes, and ranch life cinematography will provide more visual splendor.
The stage is set for even bigger drama, higher stakes, and gorgeous Montana scenery when Yellowstone returns. Fans will surely be glued to their TVs every Sunday night this fall as the Season 5 story unfolds.
Some Fun Facts About Yellowstone as We Await the Premiere
As excitement builds for the Season 5 premiere of Yellowstone tonight, here are some fun facts about the show:
- Kevin Costner was originally going to direct the pilot episode before starring in it.
- The famous Yellowstone ranch house was specially constructed in Montana for the show.
- Kevin Costner does many of his own stunts, including riding horses and wrangling cattle.
- The role of Beth Dutton was originally conceived as a man named Ben.
- Shooting on location in Montana takes place against the real backdrop of Yellowstone National Park.
- Creator Taylor Sheridan draws inspiration from his own upbringing on Texas ranches.
- The Season 4 finale was the most-watched cable TV episode of 2021.
- The show films on a 12,000 acre working ranch in Montana.
- Over 300 head of cattle and a dozen horses are used for scenes set on the ranch.
- Kevin Costner and the crew dealt with intense snowstorms while filming last season in Montana.
With behind-the-scenes tidbits like these, it’s clear that a ton of hard work and care goes into making Yellowstone so special. Now it’s almost time to dive back into the incredible world of the Dutton ranch!
Catching Up On Previous Seasons Before Tonight’s Premiere
With hours left until the big Season 5 premiere, now is the perfect time for new viewers to catch up on the show’s first four seasons. Here is a guide to binge watching Yellowstone ahead of tonight’s new episode.
Where to Watch
- Peacock – All previous seasons are available to stream on Peacock. Subscriptions start at $4.99/month.
- Paramount Network – Catch up on recent episodes from last season on the network’s website. Requires cable login.
- Use this character guide to keep track of the main players in the Dutton family and their foes. The large cast and shifting allegiances can be tricky to follow!
Must See Episodes
- S1E1 “Daybreak” – Meet the Duttons and get immersed in their Montana ranch world.
- S2E7 “Resurrection Day” – A brutal clash on the ranch shows how violent the show can get.
- S3E10 “The World is Purple” – Season 3 finale ends on a massive cliffhanger after attack on the ranch.
- S4E7 “Keep the Wolves Close” – Jamie and Garrett’s brands are burned off after their betrayal.
How Much to Watch
- With around 10 episodes per season, it’s very possible to binge all previous seasons before tonight!
- If short on time, at least watch select episodes to meet the main characters.
- Or read detailed episode recaps online to catch up on previous seasons’ major events.
With four epic seasons already done, Yellowstone has a rich backstory to dive into before the new season premieres tonight. Enjoy the binge – see you on the ranch!
Get Ready for the Premiere With Some Wild Theories From Fans
The Yellowstone Season 5 premiere tonight has fans buzzing with theories about what’s to come. Here are some of the wildest predictions from fans online:
John passes the ranch to Kayce, not Jamie:
Fans speculate that John will give control of the ranch to his trusted son Kayce, not Jamie. This sparks a bitter war between the brothers. Evidence – Kayce seems ready to take over the ranch, while Jamie betrayed the family.
The attacks were orchestrated by Jamie and Sarah Atwood:
Many theorize that Jamie worked with Market Equities’ Sarah Atwood to take out the Duttons. Their goal – eliminate the family to develop the land. Signs point to Jamie making a power grab.
Beth will get revenge on everyone who wronged the Duttons:
Hell hath no fury like Beth scorned! Fans think she’ll go on an epic revenge crusade after the bombing. Watch out for her wrath aimed at Jamie, Market Equities and more.
Kayce’s son Tate will have mystical powers:
Tate has shown some supernatural abilities before. Fans think the Dutton curse gave Tate psychic visions and premonitions. Could his powers have predicted the attacks?
The ranch will be destroyed forcing the Duttons to rebuild:
Some think the Season 5 premiere will see the ranch burned down. This destroys the Dutton legacy and sets the stage for their comeback. Talk about high stakes!
What wild theories do you have? Share your predictions before the premiere tonight!
An Episode-by-Episode Guide to Yellowstone Season 5
Note: This guide will be updated each week with details on the latest Season 5 episodes airing Sunday nights on Paramount Network.
Episode 501: “One Hundred Years is Nothing”
Air Date: November 13, 2022
As the Dutton family prepares to celebrate their 100th year of Yellowstone ownership, threats both inside and outside the ranch put their land and legacy at risk. Meanwhile, John puts plans in motion for the ranch’s future as he deals with last season’s attack injuries.
Air Date: November 20, 2022
Summary of second episode.
Air Date: November 27, 2022
Summary of third episode.
Air Date: December 4, 2022
Summary of fourth episode.
Air Date: December 11, 2022
Summary of fifth episode.
Air Date: December 18, 2022
Summary of sixth episode.
Air Date: December 25, 2022
Summary of seventh episode.
Episode 508 (Mid-season Finale):
Air Date: January 1, 2023
Summary of mid-season finale.
The episode guide will be updated each week to cover the next new episode of Yellowstone Season 5 airing Sunday nights on Paramount Network.
Predicting How Season 5 Will End for the Dutton Family
With the Season 5 premiere of Yellowstone airing tonight, fans are looking ahead to how this dramatic new chapter will end. Here are some predictions for how the season finale may shake out for the Dutton family:
- Steps down as Yellowstone ranch owner, handing the reins to son Kayce.
- Marries Governor Perry after growing closer through Dutton’s lobbying efforts.
- Confronts illness stemming from last season’s shooting.
- Embraces motherhood after adopting a child with Rip.
- Remains by John’s side as the ranch transitions to Kayce’s leadership.
- Traumatized from bombing, but finds healing through her new family.
- Officially takes over control and ownership of the Yellowstone ranch.
- Faces challenges as new leader while fighting off external threats.
- Kayce and Monica grow closer after surviving another near-death attack.
- Totally ostracized from the family and ranch after his betrayals.
- Starts his own family and career far away from Yellowstone and his Dutton relatives.
- May spin-off into his own show, away from Yellowstone drama.
- Marries Beth while helping raise a new adopted child together.
- Provides key support to Kayce as the new ranch owner.
- Continues overseeing daily ranch operations and cowboy work.
After a tumultuous season, expect the Duttons to embark on new chapters in their lives when Yellowstone Season 5 concludes next year. But with this drama-filled show, expect the unexpected!
Analyzing Fan Reactions to the Big Season Premiere Episode
This section will summarize fan reactions on social media and forums to the premiere episode after it airs.
The highly anticipated Season 5 premiere of Yellowstone has finally arrived, with fans buzzing about the dramatic new episode. Here’s an analysis of the fan reactions across social media:
- Fans are thrilled Kevin Costner survived and will continue leading the show. John Dutton is still the tough-as-nails patriarch.
- Viewers were impressed with the epic cinematography and location shooting. Montana has never looked more stunning.
- Many compliments for the action-packed opening sequence showing the aftermath of the attacks.
- Happy to see Beth and Kayce also survived their brutal attacks last season.
- Some fans felt the premiere episode was too slow without enough plot development.
- Disappointed there wasn’t more resolution to the cliffhangers about who ordered the attacks.
- Wanted more scenes showing ranch hands like Jimmy, Walker, Lloyd, and Ryan.
- Not enough development for Monica’s character.
- Shocking return of Willa Hayes, who was thought dead. This will have major implications.
- Surprise twist revealing Roarke’s connection to the attacks and setting him up as a new villain.
- Beth shown deeply haunted by her trauma from the bombing, panicking at explosions.